What are the benefits to ISO 50001 certification?
There are many benefits of achieving ISO 50001 certification. ISO 50001:2018 allows businesses to establish a practice around the use of energy that reduces business risk and improves productivity and operations. This voluntary EnMS standard helps organizations boost energy productivity and cut costs, ultimately benefiting your organization. ISO 50001 provides a framework in order to achieve your energy goals-reducing depletion of energy resources which in return helps mitigate climate change, and also improving the efficiency within your organization’s operations. To learn more about implementing ISO 50001, follow our steps to certification.
ISO 50001 brings an effective process to measure and manage energy use in order to:
- Reduce/manage energy usage and operating costs- An ISO 50001 Energy Management System allows organizations to manage their energy consumption, therefore you shall be reducing energy bills and increasing company savings.
- Evaluate the organizational goals, incorporating new energy-efficient technology.
- By continually improving the energy-related processes. Continual improvement allows your organization to be at the forefront of energy technology development, and also will keep you on track to meet your objectives. Continual improval also keeps your organization on schedule and allows you to monitor and ensure that minor nonconformities are mitigated before they become major issues.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emission when using energy more efficiently. Using new energy technology has the potential to reduce greenhouse gases. Greenhouse gases cause global warming – a sudden rise in temperature which has a negative effect on the environment.
- Creating structured methods for identifying energy indicators to reduce the overall cost.
- Through the use of 3rd party auditors, energy usage reporting is deemed more reliable by the market
- Create Awareness of Roles in the Workplace
ISO 50001 allows every employee within your organization to be aware of their role in Energy Management.
What types of Corporations benefit?
ISO 50001 improves operational efficiency and cost reductions in all sectors, this includes manufacturing, commercial buildings, utilities, government facilities, military bases, and more. No matter what size your company is, ISO 50001 was designed to be used regardless of what sector or how large your organization is.
What are the financial savings of implementing ISO 50001?
The U.S. DOE analyzed 10 facilities that implemented ISO 50001 to understand their savings. The analysis shows:
- $36,000–$938,000 in cost savings per year
- 12% reduction in energy costs (on average) within 15 months of initial implementation
- Energy performance improvements of 5.6% to 30.6% over three years
- $430,000 or more in savings each year from low- or no-cost operational improvements
Adoption of ISO 50001 is important to establish a more systematic and sustainable approach to managing energy within a facility. When you conform to the standard, this proves that your organization has implemented a sustainable energy management system. The value of certification will be driven by market forces within supply chains, potential utility incentive programs requiring ISO 50001, and the standard’s relation to future carbon mitigation policies.